Here are a variety of immune boosting foods that you likely already have in your homes. It’s important to note that eating any one of these foods may not instantly lead to a stronger immune system, but incorporating a variety of these foods into your daily nutrition may result in a stronger immune system over time. When we provide our bodies with nutrient dense foods, we are better prepared in the event we come in contact with a virus. If we routinely fail to eat healthy foods and rely on highly processed, sugar packed, refined foods our immune systems may be compromised.
Foods to Eat
Red bell peppers
Foods to Avoid
Foods with added sugar
In House Stables
- Garlic – when crushed produces a compound called Allicin which has been found to reduce inflammation and offer antioxidant benefits.
- Lemon – high in vitamin C, a natural antioxidant which supports the immune system. They also have antiviral and antibacterial properties.
- Ginger- contains the compounds gingerol, paradol, sesquiterpene, shogaol and zingerone which have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant benefits.
- Turmeric- anti-inflammatory and immune boosting benefits, can be used on food, tea or supplement.
- Mushrooms- Shiitake, Reishi, Shimeji and Oyster mushrooms all contain beta-glucans which have shown immune boosting effects.
- Honey – Antibabacterial, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Some studies suggest that honey has antiviral and antifungal properties as well.